Message from President Jordan:
Stephen M. Jordan, Ph.D.
Welcome to Metropolitan State University of Denver, a public urban baccalaureate university that serves 23,000 students and educates more undergraduate Coloradans than any other college or university in the state. As president of the University since June 2005, I invite you to share in the many wonderful treasures I have found and continue to discover here.
MSU Denver's high-quality academic experience is made possible by faculty who are unsurpassed in their commitment to student success; small classes and personalized attention; renowned, one-of-a-kind programs; academic research; and, since 2010, graduate programs.
At MSU Denver, we empower our students to achieve success through a blend of theory and applied learning, so they receive an individualized education that is relevant to their needs. Our vibrant, urban-enriched location connects our students to the heart of the city, expanding their perspectives and experiences and giving them the connections and choices that only a large urban university can offer. MSU Denver truly is Colorado’s best value in higher education.
MSU Denver impacts the lives of our students, the Denver community and the entire state of Colorado. Here are just a few examples:
- Our Hospitality Learning Center with the SpringHill Suites Denver Downtown hotel is providing the city much-needed hotel and conference space as well as a hands-on training ground for Colorado's future hospitality, tourism and food managers. It is one of only 10 other similar facilities in the country.
- MSU Denver has launched its first master's degree programs, in accounting, teacher education and social work.
- The University is well on its way to increasing its Latino enrollment (currently 19.5 percent) to 25 percent, to attain the federal designation of Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) within the next 10 years. HSI status brings funding and other opportunities that benefit all students.
- Our Center for Innovation will soon launch its Franchise Ownership Program, infusing Denver's economy with new franchises run by students we have trained.
- Since 2009, students in the University’s Urban Leadership Program are training, through academic and experiential learning, to become the skilled leaders of Colorado’s future.
- MSU Denver’s off-campus Center for Visual Art (CVA) offers exhibitions from leading-edge national, even international, artists such as Christo and Jeanne-Claude. In addition, the award-winning CVA serves as an interactive art laboratory for MSU Denver students and the larger community. The CVA is located in the historic Santa Fe Art District, strengthening the University’s ties to the nearby Latino community.
MSU Denver's student-athletes achieve great athletic and academic success, with four national championships in eight years. Our student-athletes have some of the highest graduation rates in the country; just this year men's soccer player Mark Herschberger was named the NCAA Division II Academic All-America. Our student-athetes have personally connected as role models to hundreds of kids. And when our new athletic complex is complete, the surrounding community will have access to its fields and facilities.
Whether you are a prospective student, the parent of a student, a casual online visitor or a long-time friend, welcome. Come explore MSU Denver as we continue our journey to preeminence.
Stephen M. Jordan, Ph.D.